Once you’ve made the decision to step onto the property ladder, looking for your first home can be a very exciting time. Here are some bullet points to help keep you focused on your search and stay on track.
Separate your needs and wants. No matter how clear and defined your list of requirements are, compromising is often required when house hunting so keep an open mind.
- Think about the location, how far are you prepared to travel to work?
- Taking that step thought process further, is this a home that you may also raise children and then consider how close are you to schools, play areas and is it a safe community.
- Do you enjoy going out? Is the location with enough entertainment nearby such as Cinemas, Theatres, Bars and Restaurants. Think about shopping, can you pop out for milk if needed.
- Is there a good sense of community in the area?
- Are there any plans to develop the area, for example big housing developments or transport links?
- What is the crime level in the area?
- Do you need a house or would a flat be ideal for you?
- Do need three bedrooms or would you just like 3 bedrooms?
- Are you able to maintain a large garden? How much outside space do you really need?
- What about parking your car?
- Don’t forget to consider what the Council Tax is like and can you afford it?
- Can make do with a kitchen and bathroom fittings and maybe refurbish them at a later date?
- Does it have the potential to be the right home for you even though it may not be at first glance?